You can help fill the shelves of our local food bank and pantries in a fun and unique way.
The Beaufort County United Way is hosting United We Can food sculpture competition on April Foods Day, Saturday, April 1, 2023. Teams will “CAN”struct sculptures from nonperishable canned & boxed food items from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (spectators are welcome to watch). The sculptures will be on display at the Harbor District Market in Washington from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Awards will be presented to winning teams at 2:00 p.m.
After the competition ends, all collected items will go to the Eagle’s Wings Food Pantry and distributed throughout Beaufort County. Team members MUST return by 2:00 p.m. to help remove food items and supporting materials used in your creation.
Build any kind of structure - from the simple to the elaborate!
Teams may use props, including signage, and supporting materials when building, but structures must be comprised of at least 60% food items and/or basic needs items.
The sculpture must fit within a 10' x 10' space. A platform may be used if necessary for stability.
Collected items cannot be painted, taped, or otherwise altered in any way that makes them unsuitable for donation. Use items color and design in your sculpture.
A team from your organization must set up the structure between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. on April 1st. It is not necessary for your team to be there the entire time. Team members MUST return by 2:00 p.m. to remove any sculpture materials used in your construction, and pack food items in the pantry trucks that will deliver them to the food pantry.
As you are planning and constructing, please track the following:
- Number of items, e.g. 2,000 cans of tuna, 16 jars of peanut butter.
- Dollars invested
- Number of committee/team members.
- How did you obtain the items? For example: food drive, corporate donation, employee collection, etc.
We know you’re not doing this for the glory, but it’s hard work! We will celebrate the multitude of donated food for the community and recognize outstanding creations with a few awards…and bragging rights of course.
- Most Nutritious: Local nutritionists will judge sculptures as the most nutritious, based on sodium and sugar counts, organic products, etc.
- Small + Mighty Award: Judges will select the best sculpture CANstructed by a small business. (employee size up to 99).
- Best in Show: Judges will select the best in show based on the most creative and most food collected.
- Most on Brand: Judges will select the most on brand award based on how well a sculpture matches with each company's branding, products, or services.
- Community Choice Award: Spectators will cast their ballots between 11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. PLEASE NOTE: Organizations are eligible for only one award (with the exception of the Community Choice Award).